The Department of International Relations and Co-operation has reported that no South African was killed or injured in Tuesday night’s terrorist attack on Ataturk Airport in Istanbul, Turkey, on Tuesday.
So far, 42 people are reported have been killed and more than 140 injured when three attackers began shooting outside and inside the airport’s terminal late Tuesday and blew themselves up after police fired at them.
Department spokesman Clayson Monyela said here Wednesday that the department was closely monitoring the situation in Turkey and would update the nation as events developed.
“The first thing we would like to say is that the South African government condemns this attack in the strongest term possible. Terrorism in all shapes and forms and from whichever quarter it comes from cannot be condoned,” said Monyela.
“We have been in touch with our embassy in that country, they are interacting regularly with the local authorities and the latest report we have is that there are no South Africans who were killed or injured in this attack.”
Source: Nam News Network