The Office of the Presidential Amnesty Programme (PAP) says findings from the ongoing investigation into multiple accounts of ex-agitaors linked to one BVN will determine the fate of protesting beneficiaries.
This is contained in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja by Mr Freston Akpor, Media Aide to the PAP Interim Administrator.
Akpor disclosed that names of all those involved in the alleged BVN fraud had been forwarded to the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) for investigation.
He said that the Amnesty Office also blamed bank officials for colluding with the ex-agitaors to aid the “financial crime”.
“So, investigation is ongoing, I must tell you there is nothing the PAP can do now over this matter until the investigation is concluded and then the ONSA will take a decision on what to do.
“This is a financial crime which is why the ONSA is investigating the matter.
“The policy is one name, one BVN. But in a situation where you have more than 30 names linked to one BVN, it becomes an issue.
“We discovered that 513 names were linked to 1370 accounts. And these are the people who have cases to answer.
“As it stands, those who are protesting are the people who fall within those who have multiple accounts linked to their BVN,” Akpor explained.
On the purported “gentleman agreement” with leaders of the ex-agitators to receive monies in bulk to pay the boys, Akpor said
“it is these same boys, that also complained that when the money is collected by this so-called leaders, the money doesn’t trickle down to them”.
A handful of ex-agitators on Tuesday gathered at the premises of the National Assembly to express anger over the stoppage of their monthly N65,000 stipends.
The PAP office had explained that the stoppage of payment was necessitated by the issues surrounding BVNs of ex-agitators. (NAN)
Source: News Agency of Nigeria